Staunton, November 28 – Early this morning, several thousand people were evacuated from 10 shopping centers and 12 large stores in Moscow after someone telephoned the authorities to say bombs had been planted in them. No bombs were found, but the FSB blamed this new outburst of “telephone terrorism” on the deteriorating situation in Ukraine.
A source close to the Russian security service told the RBC news agency that the phone calls had come from Ukraine. The source said that a similar bomb threat had forced the evacuation of 407 pupils and 27 teachers and staff from a Moscow school as well (rbc.ru/society/28/11/2018/5bfe9ffa9a7947ca3ac69a92?from=main).
A year ago, Russia faced a wave of such telephone calls and evacuations. In September and October 2017 alone, more than a million people were evacuated from almost 2500 buildings in 170 Russian cities and towns (novayagazeta.ru/articles/2017/10/13/74180-vremya-ryt-okopy and windowoneurasia2.blogspot.com/2017/10/telephone-terrorism-continuing-pushing.html).
The Russian authorities did not report many of these in the central media; nor have they reported sporadic cases of telephone terrorism since that time. But it now may be the case that they will play up these events in an effort to stir up war hysteria and anti-Ukrainian feelings among Russians.
Post a Comment