Staunton, Jan. 6 – Russia is always ready for nuclear war, the Putin regime says, but the country is never ready for the insidious coming of cold weather and the need to heat apartments so that people don’t freeze, become ill and die, according to the latest anecdote circulating in Moscow.
Among the other anecdotes Moscow journalist Tatyana Pushkaryova offers this week (publizist.ru/blogs/107374/44850/-), the following are especially instructive:
· As of January 1, the Putin regime is offering an 80 percent discount to Russians purchasing rose-colored glasses.
· Defense Minister Shoygu says there won’t be a second wave of mobilization. Instead, he has announced, there will immediately be a ninth wave, referring of course to the wave that will destroy everything.
· Telling the truth in Russia today is a great stupidity; but remaining silence is no less an act of cowardice.
· Told that his opponents are spreading lies about him, a senior Russian official says that at least they aren’t spreading the truth.
· The most popular brand in Moscow is the thief.
· Germany’s success in weaning itself from Russian energy supplies is an even greater defeat for Russia than the one it is suffering on the field of battle in Ukraine.
· The Russian space agency has announced that it is cooperating with Zimbabwe in the area of small satellites. Given Zimbabwe’s advanced position in that field, there can be little doubt that Russia will now rush ahead.
· Putin has made it clear that the war in Ukraine can be ended quickly if Kyiv agrees to give Russia everything it wants.
· Patriarch Kirill’s insistence that religions bring peace is challenged only by the long history of religious wars.