Staunton, July 2 – Vladimir Putin has insisted so strenuously and so often that Lenin created Ukraine, some Russians have begun to wonder who created the other former Soviet republics, including their own, and are now saying that it seems clear that Boris Yeltsin created the Russian Federation.
This is one of the anecdotes Russians are telling one another now that Moscow journalist Tatyana Pushkaryova offers in her latest collection (publizist.ru/blogs/107374/46205/-). Among the best of the rest are the following:
· “Full sovereignty” really means that the powers that be have the right to do whatever they want to with their citizens and no one outside has any right to interfere.
· Since things can’t get any worse in Russia, one should hope for the best.
· Russians don’t live in a madhouse. They live in a cozy boarding house with bars on the windows and themselves chained to the beds.
· Russians have now been forbidden to complain about what is forbidden.
· Putin will never begin a nuclear war because if he did, he wouldn’t be around to claim victory, the thing he cares most about.